My Humanistic Body – Psychotherapy Approach
It is whole-body based. It includes the whole body not just the mind. You feel the feelings and emotions in your physical body, there are no feelings in the brain. My approach goes beyond the mental understanding. When you in a state of overwhelm, of stress-response, in highly anxious moods, the language centers of the brain go offline and understanding isn’t enough to restore you into a place of healing. The tensions grip, mould, split and distort the body. That is why I also work directly with the body, using a light sensitive touch along the network of the connective tissues
The hurts of the past. You can’t change your history, but how you feel about your history and your relationship to it.
Non-pathologising. I will treat you as a person, not as a bunch of disorders to be managed.
It is person-directed. There is always more for me to learn about you, you grow and change constantly. You are unique and you are the ‘expert’ on your own world. One size fits all approach doesn’t consider your complex blend of experiences. I adapt based on your feedback. I share clinical insights and recommendations about your options, then you decide if and how to use the information.
Informed by justice principles. I care when something is unfair. All humans are different but equal in worth.
Welcome to My Work
What is Body Psychotherapy?
Body Psychotherapy is different from other psychotherapies, because it reaches places that other psychotherapies don’t.
- It is particularly good for people who would like to be more in touch with their bodies.
- Those who suffer the consequences of early trauma where there aren’t any explicit memories.
- Those who find it difficult to express their feelings in words.
- Body Psychotherapy can address difficulties at a level that is not accessible through words, it can easily access pre-verbal and otherwise deeply unconscious material.
- Those who would like to feel more alive.
- Body psychotherapy takes the notion seriously that body and mind are not two different things but the same. It embeds the understanding of symptoms in a truly holistic way and treats the whole person not just a problem.
- Clients feel seen in their totality.
- Most clients like to address difficulties on several levels at once (body, emotion, mind and spirit)
- Body Psychotherapists are well trained in psychotherapy and are more versatile in their technical approaches.
Almost a century ago Wilhelm Reich said that body-mind-psyche aren’t only interconnected, they are functionally identical.
The form of the body, the feelings, the thoughts, the attitudes, the behaviours, they all reflect each other and function in the same way.
“Body, Mind &
Psyche are Identical.”